Going through a career transition? Frustrated? At a crossroad? There’s no better time to explore new options! This could be the perfect time to achieve independence and make your dreams to have business of your own come true.
Come learn and understand the nuts & bolts of franchises & other business options. This is a FREE workshop.
Read about our upcoming Franchising Workshop, and register here online. It's FREE, and you might just find the business you've been looking for!
Thursday, June 28, 2012
Tuesday, June 26, 2012
July 11 Prime Contracts -- 8:30 a.m. - 12:45 p.m.
July 12 Set-asides Small Business -- 8:30 a.m. - 12:45 p.m.
$50 Each Day; $75 Both Days
Darla Moore School Of Business
Lumpkin Auditorium, 8th Floor
1705 College St.
Columbia, S.C. 29208
$50 for Each Day $75 for Both Days
Reserved FREE Parking
Day 1 - Working with Primes
8:30 Welcome -- Michele Abraham, SC SBDC State Director
8:35 Opening Remarks -- Scott Adams, VP, Prysmian Group, NA
8:45 Contracting Principles - Scott H. Bellows
- Fair and Reasonable
- Responsive and Responsible
9:45 Finding Work Opportunities - Sherry Pittinger
- Prime Contracting & Subcontracting
11:00 Working with the Prime Contractor Community
- Introduction by Mr. Butch Wallace, Cong. Joe Wilson's Office
- Moderated by Greg Davis: S.C. Department of Commerce
- Prime Contractors : Brad Burton, Shaw Construction Group;
- Scott Spigener, M.B. Kahn Construction Co., Inc.
- In the context of government contracting, how does your subcontracting program work?
- What are some do's and don'ts for subcontractors seeking work with your company?
- For those who have been awarded contracts with your company, what makes some stand out and others fade into the background?
- What is your anticipation of government buyer needs (next year and beyond) and how might this affect the subcontractors you work with?
Day 2 - Set-asides for Small Business
8:30 Welcome & Opening Remarks -- Michele Abraham, SC SBDC State Director; Daulton Tresvant of Congressman James Clyburn's Office
8:35 An Overview of Set-aside Programs - Steve Taylor
- Set-aside Implementation, a Matter of Consideration
8:50 Where and How to Apply - Steve Taylor
- Identifying Set-asides
- Marketing to the government - Role of the Small Business Specialist, Corporate Profiles
- Fair & Reasonable, Responsive & Responsible
- Pre-solicitations and Sources Sought
- Networking (and timing), Website, etc.
- Mentoring-Protege agreements
Enhancing performance (and support services),
10:00 Prime and Sub-contracting (for the certified vendor) -- Scott H. Bellows
- Finding Primes to Work with
- The Small Business Prime Contractor
- Prime Work Requirements (as a percentage)
- Non-manufacturer's Rule, Teaming Agreements
11:00 Set-asides and Working with Your Government
Introduction by Eric Bedingfield, Deputy Congressman Mulvaney
Moderated by Greg Davis
Panelists: James Giffin, Linda Blanton; Cecil Hannibal, OBO Administrator, City of Columbia;
Chappelle Broome, Director of HR/DBE Liaison Officer, CAE Airport; Brenda Parnell, SC DOT Certification, SC Dept. of Transportation; Keith Friot, Pre-award Division Chief, Ft. Jackson; Randall May, Dir. of Bus. Oper. & Small Bus. Specialist, Shaw AFB
The panel will field, first-hand, questions from the audience along the following lines:
- Describe your procurement operations and what you feel that you do to identify and bring on first-time contractors?
- Describe what, if anything, you do to encourage your prime contractors to bring on new sub-contractors?
- How do small businesses learn about smaller contracting opportunities that are not published in SCBO, FedBizOpps, etc.?
in Partnership with
Monday, June 25, 2012
Interested subcontractors are invited to attend a subcontractor Outreach Event on June 27, 2012 from 4:00 – 5:30pm at
Central Carolina Technical College
Health Sciences Center – Iris Room
133 South Main St.
Sumter, SC 29150
• Gain info. about Continental Tire plant construction project in Sumter
• Learn about current/upcoming bid packages
• Receive instructions on Contractor Pre-Qual. Forms
• Hear an overview of Walbridge and Mashburn’s MBE/DBE efforts
• Meet the Construction Management team and network with other interested contractors
For more information, contact
Eliza Buxton at 803.774.2160 firstname.lastname@example.org
Thursday, June 21, 2012